Thursday, August 12, 2004

from LA to NY

My friend and his wife left LA to NY tonight. The husband will be a post-doc at NYU, which has a topmost institute of his major, also mine. The couple lived in a same building of mine. I met them almost everyday and sometime I took their ride from school back to home. They are so nice. I attended his graduation ceremony. I had my graduation at Beijing but it was the first time I attended such ceremony in the States. I took many pictures and videos for them. They were so excited. I was also happy for them. The graduate secretary told me: you will be here for yourself next year. But in fact I am not sure about it. I may be able to graduate at next year if I work out more results in my research, but I want to stay here one more year to learn more from my great advisor. I need to think about where I should go after my graduation. As usual I should apply for a post-doc position before I can find a tenure track. It doesn't depend on me where I can go. But if I have chance, I wish I can go to east coast after I get my degree. I had been to NY and other east coast cities at last year. NY is totally different with LA. LA is big and scattered. Too big. You cannot find many people walking on the street. When you want to go shopping, you may need to drive of take bus. I think LA makes people feel alone.

I don't have many impressions of NYC since I only spent short time at there. What left in my mind included the skyscrapers, crowds, and subway. It reminded me the life at Beijing. There're so many people crowded on the streets. You will never be alone. I talked with some strangers in the subway and the time square. I like to experience a life at NYC.

But I wish that I can come back to LA or other CA cities to continue my professional career. The weather at LA is so nice that I don't want to be away from it too long. I like LA although sometime I complained about it. And I like the people at LA.

I wish my dreams will come true in the future.

No comments: