Friday, April 08, 2005

dream and second paper

My groupmate got the internship offer. She was so excited and I am also happy for her. It will be a good experience for her and also a good preparation for her future industrial career.

Few days ago my boss asked me whether the second potential offer if 3 months or 6 months. I told him that I just declined it. I was wondering whether he wanted me to go if it's a 3-month job, since it will cover my summer quarter only. I was a little bit regretful for my early decision. I didn't ask about the detail of that offer.

But I didn't regret much and long. My friend from New York told me that I shouldn't go for intern. He graduated from my department last year and is doing very well as a postdoc at a no. 1 institute for my major. I agreed with his suggestion. If I want to enter academia for my professional career, it would be better to do more research in my current work than going for internship in company.

Being a professor has been one of my dreams since a long time ago. But I was hesitating these days about my goal. I don't know whether I can fulfil my dream. It seems a hard and long way to get to there and I am not confident whether I can make it. If I go to the internship this summer, and if they want me to work at there after I graduate, probably I will accept their offer and I will work in industry then. It's a big company and I think their research work will be interesting to me and their pay rate is not bad at all.

Now by choosing to stay in campus in this summer I will focus on my research for sure. I hope that I can work something out and start to write my dessertation in the summer.

A good news is that my coworkers finished the draft of a paper. It's my second one and it has now been published in departmental publication lists. I am not sure whether and when it will be accepted by the journal we submitted. But at least, it's a good starting.

No comments: